Omega Workshop: An Experiment in Counter-Fashion
January 26 - March 10, 2018
Opening Reception: Friday, January 26, 6 - 8 PM
Artists: Carmen Argote, Elaine Byrne, Nick Cave, Sky Cubacub, Frau Fiber, friends of light, Abigail Glaum-Lathbury, Ruby Hoette, Project KOVR, Fawn Krieger, Jennifer Moon, Marloes ten Bhömer, Marisa Williamson, Andrea Zittel
Curated by: Rational Dress Society
Since the birth of fashion in the 19th century, counter-fashion—the practice of dressing to signal political solidarity—has been a site for critical intervention and utopian experimentation amongst activists, artists, and designers. Fashion is often mobilized to effect political change in moments of unrest. Omega, the last letter of the Greek alphabet, continues this tradition, suggesting clothing for “end times.” In Omega Workshop, our clothes are reconceived as an act of resistance in dark times—a collective reimagining of our relationship to dress.
For Omega Workshop, the members of the Rational Dress Society bring together artists, designers and activists who mobilize the language of clothing to critique the existing fashion system and offer alternatives. The exhibition will function as an archive and a laboratory, intended both as a tool to spur the production of future counter-fashion, and a resource for artists and designers interested in pursuing alternative dress. The run of Omega Workshop coincides with New York Fashion Week, offering a necessary counterpoint to the consumer-driven spectacle of the fast fashion in New York’s historical (and diminishing) Garment District.
CURATORIAL ESSAY: FASHION BETWEEN OMEGA & ALPHA
- Kamiko / Japanese Paper Clothes with Daphne Mohajer va Pesaran
2/3/18, 12 - 3 pm
- Call to Sew a Transformational Soviet Hippie Poncho! with Frau Fiber
2/4/18, 12 - 5 pm
- Copyright, Trademark and Sumptuary Law Panel Discussion
2/7/18, 6 - 8 pm
- Fashion and Democracy Conversation
2/8/18, 6 - 9 pm
- Make-your-own-JUMPSUIT with the Rational Dress Society
2/10 - 2/11/18, 10 am - 4 pm
- Unpick the Fashion System / Collage a Collection with Ruby Hoette
2/16/18, 10 am - 4 pm
- Worker Co-operative Principles and Pricing Structures with friends of light
2/17/18, 12 - 4 pm
- The History, Anatomy and Construction of a Pocket with Michaela Hansen
3/3/18, 12 - 3 pm
- Closing reception with performance by Rebirth Garments
3/9/18, 6 – 9 pm
EFA Project Space, 323 W. 39th Street, 2nd floor, Manhattan.
Gallery hours: Wednesday - Saturday, 12 - 6 PM
Omega Workshop is sponsored by The Garment District Alliance, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and GESSO.